November 11, 2010

Spotlight Thursdays

Photography is the latest obsession in New York. If you don’t have a Nikon D90 digital, trust me, you’ll have one within the next three years. However, not everyone has an eye for photography. There are very few, and among those few are one of my dear friends, Chelsea Van Houten. Noise Girl is a brand that she started in 2009, which is her signature photography name. The Noise Girl blog, is a collection of fashion photographs, most of which have been taken on the streets of New York. 

I asked her about her initial inspiration and main muse—New York City.


“I initially started shooting fashion and style when I discovered The Sartorialist (The Sartorialist). I was fascinated by how Scott Schuman captured the essence of random people on the streets. By focusing on a unique jacket or a vintage top, he brought life to every piece that was featured. In a way, Noise Girl is quite similar to The Sartorialist, but it has an edgier and younger tone. I've always had an appreciation for the small details in an outfit and Noise Girl allows me to bring them out center stage so people can see: even the smallest things matter.” 


About NYC, “Shooting in New York City is amazing. I have so much fun roaming the streets and photographing strangers who have a unique style. At the end of the day, it's not just about the photographs but the interaction I get to experience with the people I photograph. I love seeing and hearing their reactions when I ask to take their picture, it inspires me to keep shooting.”


Nathan Jenden NYFW


Though Chelsea’s blog focuses mainly on fashion and photography, she also likes to include artwork, music, videos, fashion brands and any other object that inspires her.  Along with being a photographer, she is also designing custom reworked vintage clothing pieces that will be sold exclusively on noisegirl.com in 2011.



You can follow Chelsea on facebook.com/NOISEGIRL and twitter.com/THENOISEGIRL to receive updates on future blog posts and more exciting news. Chelly, take my picture.


Xx AT

No comments:

Post a Comment